Sunday, September 19, 2010

Kaiser 5K @ Turner Field

This past Thursday, September 16th, Renee, Hollie and I ran the Kaiser Permanente 5K @ Turner field! I have never done a 5K (or any sort of race before) so this was new territory for me. My company sponsored a tent and we had about 4 runners and 10 or so walkers from my company. Hollie signed up under our team.

A view of the massive number of tents @ Turner Field blue lot.



Walking around and saw the Chick Fil A cow!!



Team Waffle House had the BEST shirts!



My friend, Jangmee and myself hanging out at the VeenendaalCave tent!



We got there around 5 PM and hung out with some gatorade, chips and salsa and live music! Renee got there a little while later and it turns out that her company tent was right next to mine! Hollie literally got to the race at the very last minute due to ridiculous traffic - we were lining up and she didn't even have time to stop by the tent so she had to run the whole race with her cell phone in her sports bra! Haha.

I was a little overwhelmed at first by the amount of people running the race - it was in the thousands and we were all packed in at the olympic rings in downtown waiting to run. Once they signaled for us to go, it took about 5-6 minutes for us to even get started running. Hollie and I stayed together for probably 70% of the race. I slowed down at a huge hill right by GA State University and Hollie went on. She waited for me at the finish line but somehow missed me! I caught up with Renee right before we hit the finish line. I was exhausted! My time when I crossed the finish lines was in the 34 minute mark, but you should subtract about 5 minutes from that due to the fact that we ddin't get started right away.

When we got done I was SWEATING my butt off! Renee and I picked up our t-shirts and headed back to the tent. Ryals came to support me and was waiting there with Powerade when I got back - so sweet! The 4 of us hung out, drank beer, ate Jimmy John's and talked about the race. I am so glad to have finished my first 5K and will be continuing to sign up for more in the future! I had some pretty good running buddies too... :)

Thanks to Ryals for all the encouragement! Next year he said he will run :)





So glad to be done with THAT...now when's the next race???

2 comments: