Thursday, April 1, 2010

April Fools!!

Okay so I was going to Google something to include in my post and when I clicked on Google, it actually said Topeka! So I was like WTH what does that mean...please read below.

http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2010/04/different-kind-of-company-name.html

I thought that was really interesting! Could you imagine if you had lived in TOPEKA your whole life and then all of a sudden you lived in GOOGLE? Weird.

Anyways, on to the real stuff. So I have been following a diet called The Flat Belly Diet for the past 3-4 months and I wanted to share some of the aspects of the plan with you. I am by no means overweight (or at least I don't think I am, you may beg to differ - ha), but definitely in need of toning up and feeling better about my overall body image. The diet was developed by two women (one being the editor of Prevention magazine) and I feel that it is geared towards women in general. The overall premise of the diet is that you eat 4 small meals a day (each meal equaling around 400 calories). The kicker is this - each meal needs to contain what they call a MUFA (mono unsaturated fatty acid). Some examples of MUFA's include: nuts/peanut butters, DARK CHOCOLATE (my fav), oils, avocados, etc. These are "good" fats that serve to fight against the "bad" fat in your body. They also make each meal very enjoyable, since most of these foods are foods that I find delicious! In addition to the meal structure, the diet recommends drinking lots of water (I drink two Nalgene bottles or more a day) and following an exercise routine.

My typical day of food would read something like this:

Breakfast - Greek yogurt with 1/2 cub of raspberries and 1/4 cup of dark chocolate chips (MUFA)

Lunch - Whole wheat wrap with one laughing cow wedge, 4 ounces of roast beef and black olive tapenade (MUFA)

Snack - Luna Bar with 1 cup of skim milk and macadamia nuts (MUFA) mixed with raisins.

Dinner - Chicken Piccata (recipe below) with a spinach salad.

Most of you know, I am ALWAYS hungry (remember Carl?). The good thing about this diet is that it keeps me full throughout the day. I would like to include my favorite (and Ryals' favorite) Flat Belly recipe below. I have made it twice in the past week and a half and it is definitely a boyfriend favorite!

Chicken Piccata
12 ounces boneless, skinless chicken tenders
2 tablespoons flour
4 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
2 teaspoons capers, minced freshly ground black pepper

Directions
1. Lay the tenders on a work surface. With a smooth scaloppine pounder or a rolling pin covered in plastic wrap, flatten to 1/4" thickness. Dredge the cutlets lightly in the flour. 2. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the oil to the skillet and heat until sizzling. Place the chicken in the skillet. Cook for 2 minutes per side or until lightly browned and cooked through. 3. Add the lemon juice, parsley, and capers. Bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 2 minutes to allow the flavors to blend. Season to taste with the pepper. Serve the chicken with the pan juices.

XOXOXOXOXOXOXOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment